This recipe is by Ina Pinkney, chef/owner of Ina's in Chicago.
When we did the recipe in class we used boneless chicken. If you do so adjust your cooking time appropriately. And you can always check for internal temperature (165 degrees F) to insure your chicken is done.
GLUTEN-FREE FRIED CHICKEN
Yield: 4 - 8 servings
White rice flour 2.5 Lb
Brown rice flour 2.5 Lb
Tapioca flour (or tapioca starch) 2.5 Oz
Potato starch 1.75 Oz
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper as needed
Garlic powder as needed
Buttermilk 1 qtl
Chickens, 3- to 3 1/2-lbs, cut into 8 pieces, 2 each
Egg whites, lightly beaten 6 each
Canola oil, transfat-free, high oleic as needed
1. To make coating mixture, combine white and brown rice flours, tapioca flour and potato starch. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and reserve.
2. Combine buttermilk with 3 tablespoons salt and 1 tablespoon pepper. Marinate chicken from 4 to 12 hours, refrigerated, then remove from marinade and drain thoroughly.
3. Dredge chicken pieces in coating mixture, then dip into egg whites. Return pieces to flour mixture, packing it on, then gently shake off excess.
4. Fry chicken, skin-side down, in 275-degree F oil. Fry pieces untouched for 10 to 12 minutes to allow crust to set up.
5. Continue cooking chicken pieces to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, about 15 to 18 minutes total for wings, 20 minutes total for legs and thighs and 20 to 25 minutes total for breasts. Drain on a rack and serve.
As always, I hope you enjoy.
Until next time.
Happy Cooking and Eating
Chef Leslie Bartosh