Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Korean Noodles with Beef and Vegetables Chap Chae

This dish is one that we enjoy a lot.  The flavor of it reminds me of Suki Yaki.  I like the variety of textures in it, too.  It obviously contains beef but I think it would also work well with firm or extra firm tofu.  There are many versions of this recipe on line.  This particular version came from Saveur.com.
The recipe follows the photo.  Of course, I have some notes at the end.  I hope you enjoy.

Chap Chae Korean Noodles with Beef and Vegetables
SERVES 4
INGREDIENTS
3 tbsp. canola oil
2 cups julienned carrots
Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
2 cups thinly sliced onions
1 cup julienned red bell pepper
1 cup julienned button mushrooms
1 cup julienned filet mignon
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup sugar
16 oz. dried Korean sweet potato noodles (called dangmyeon), soaked in boiling hot water until al dente
2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp. thinly sliced scallions
1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
INSTRUCTIONS
Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat; add carrots. Season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until half-tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; repeat with 1 tbsp. oil, onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Wipe skillet clean; heat remaining oil. Add steak and garlic; cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Add soy sauce and sugar; cook until sugar dissolves. Pour over vegetables in bowl, add noodles and sesame oil, and toss. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.

NOTES:

Some recipes include any or all of the following:  spinach, more garlic, include shitake with button mushroom, slice the mushrooms.
Korean sweet potato noodles (called dangmyeon):  I cannot find these without a drive.  So I use shirataki noodles which are sold packed in water.  They are ready to eat and are made from yams.  I find them at my local HEB store.  I used 3 - 8oz packages, drained, the last time I made this dish.  I put them in the dish just long enough to get ho
I slice the mushrooms 1/4 inch thick
I am somewhat flexible on the amounts of vegetables.  A quarter of a cup more makes the dish go further.
This is Texas, and I am a carnivore :-) , so the amount of beef usually gets increased when we make this.  
Speaking of beef:  Do I use beef tenderloin as noted int he ingredients?  Mmmm, I wish I could tell you I do but.......Let's be real, grocery money only goes so far.  I usually wait until the store mentioned earlier puts their prime meat on sale.  If they have their prime strip loins or top sirloins on sale that is what I use.  Both work well for this dish.
One last note:  We like food to be real hot when we eat it.  So, I usually combine all ingredients in the pan at the end to get everything real hot.

I hope you enjoy.  If you try the recipe be sure to let me know what you think!

Until next time:
Bon Appetit Y'all
Chef Leslie Bartosh

No comments:

Post a Comment